Sedation Dentistry for Your Comfort
Sedation Dentistry for Your Comfort
By Dr. Faria
Does the thought of your next dental visit make you break out in a cold sweat? You’re not alone.
According to a research released in the Journal of the Indian Dental Association, approximately 12 per cent of adults are very anxious about dental health and many avoid the dentist completely. They are so afraid of dental visits that they can avoid them for years, often to their teeth’s detriment.
For people who would really rather not go to the dentist but still want to benefit from lumos dental care are, sedation dentistry may help.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is not a typical general anesthetic, contrary to what you might believe. The dentist will not often put you to sleep during your procedure with sedative dentistry. Although some dental procedures involve general anesthesia, sedation dentistry only uses medicines that help you relax during your operation. You can be so relaxed that you might fall asleep, but you can easily be woken up as if you were in a natural sleep.
Types of sedation
Here are the common types of sedation used in dentistry:
- Inhaled minimal sedation. In a mask that is positioned over your nose, you inhale nitrous oxide— also known as “laughing gas”. The gas allows you to unwind more easily. The dose you receive can be monitored and the gas tends to wear off rapidly. Some people will be able to drive themselves home after this type of sedation.
- Oral sedation. Patients take a sedative at some stage before their appointment begins when they have been subject to oral conscious sedation. This will help them at their appointment to achieve a powerful sense of comfort and calm. With this type of sedation, patients will need a trusted person to help take them both to and out of the dental office, as well as drive them home.
- IV moderate sedation. IV sedation is administered intravenously instead of orally. This has some advantages for patients. The medication will begin working within seconds, and patients will become fully relaxed. You might be so relaxed that you might not remember much of your appointment! The dental professional will monitor the condition throughout the procedure to ensure you are comfortable and safe. They can also adjust the dosage to make sure you are comfortable. Patients who are sedated with IV will need a trustworthy friend or family member to bring them home and look after them for the rest of the day. The patient should be fine the next morning.
Irrespective of the sort of sedation you use, you will usually require a local anesthetic to alleviate pain if there is some discomfort during the treatment.
- Sedation dentistry may also be useful for people who:
- can’t tolerate very much pain
- find it hard to sit still in a dentist’s chair
- suffer from uncommonly sensitive teeth
- have a very strong gag reflex
- are about to undertake a lengthy and complex procedure
How Safe Is Sedation Dentistry?
The risk of complications from using an anesthesia is small. When provided by skilled dentists, it is generally safe. However, certain individuals should speak to their doctor before sedation, such as those who are overweight or suffer from sleep apnea. This is because these groups are more susceptible to experiencing complications.
Make sure your dentist is trained to use the type of sedation you will be using. Your dentist should be following guidelines set by the Indian Dental Association to check your vital signs regularly when you are under sedation. Oxygen and artificial ventilation should be also on hand, as well as reverse-sedation medication.
Lumos dental care
If sedation dentistry looks like something that would help you make a dental visit, call us ( (+91) 91007 32887 / 9100843887 ) today to arrange an appointment. We want to provide the most comfortable conditions possible for you to receive our expert dental care.
Patients who choose our sedation dentistry often report feeling less fear and anxiety and instead experience peace and relaxation during their procedure. Some patients who opt for sedation dentistry do not even remember the operation at all! We hope that you too can enjoy a pleasant dental experience with us.
AUTHOR : DR. FARIA SABA
Dr. Faria Saba is a renowned dental surgeon with an experience of more than 18 years in dentistry. She is the co founder and managing director at Lumos Dental Care.She delivers a wide range of treatments . Areas of expertise Cosmetic dentistry, Dental implants, Laser assisted dentistry.
*Dental Implants .
*Laser Dentistry &